What to Expect With Scleral Contact Lenses
What are scleral lenses?
Scleral lenses are specialty contact lenses used for patients with irregular corneas, corneal scarring, or dry eyes. They are larger than traditional gas permeable (hard) contact lenses, about 16mm in diameter. They are filled with saline solution, and when on the eye they completely vault over the cornea.
Who could potentially benefit from scleral lenses?
Patients with irregular corneas, patients with conditions that affect the tear film, and patients with refractive error (nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia) who are unable to wear other forms of correction could benefit from scleral lenses.
Conditions such as keratoconus and pellucid marginal corneal degeneration cause irregularity of the cornea. If the cornea is not smooth, vision will not be easily correctable with spectacles or most soft contact lenses. Scleral lenses mask this irregularity and allow for improved vision by providing a smooth front surface. Patients with severe dry eye syndrome or corneal scarring may also benefit from scleral lenses.
Rules for Scleral contact lens wear
- Only wear lenses when your eyes are white and not irritated. Do not wear the lenses when you have red eyes or think you may have an infection. Take the lenses out if you eye becomes red and irritated.
- No sleeping is permitted while wearing the lenses. Take them out every night, and take them out if you are going to take a nap.
- Always wash your hands before removing or inserting contact lenses.
- Prescription eye drops may not be used over the contact lens. If feeling dry you may use Refresh Tears®, Refresh® Relieva, or Blink contacts® lubricating eye drops as needed.
Lens care and solutions
Preservative Free Saline solutions
- Examples include Addipak Sterile Saline Solution, Nutrifill, and LacriPure saline solution.
- Used for filling lens and rinsing off lens
- Not used for cleaning, storing, or disinfecting
CLEAR CARE® Solution
- Hydrogen peroxide based solutions such as CLEAR CARE® are recommended for cleaning and storing the scleral lenses.
- Lenses must sit in the case with solution for a mimimum of 6 hours for the solution to neutralize
- Used for cleaning, storing, and disinfecting lenses
- Not used for rinsing or filling lenses.
How to insert and remove scleral lenses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xO9bZsTnU
Valley Contax website: https://customstablelens.com/
CLEAR CARE® instructions on how to use: https://www.clearcaresolution.com/how-to-clean-contacts.shtml